First of all, what is a fume hood? This might seem like a common term, but for those who seek out this industry for the first time might not be familiar with this. A fume hood Malaysia, is actually a huge piece of equipment that is like ventilation. However, it does not function like your ordinary ventilation which can help you feel more comfortable. Instead, this type of ventilation is for you to be on the safer side.
How does a fume hood function?
- Considering that a medical lab is a facility where toxic materials are being tested and researched, the people in it can be exposed to a lot of hazards. This is where the fume hood comes in. Mainly functions as their protection as it sucks the bad or toxic vapors generated by the different chemicals.
- Not only that the fume hood protects the people in the same room, but at the same time, it also protects other products from being exposed to hazardous elements that might cause damage to them such as glove boxes, and biosafety cabinets, and many others.
- The fume hood is also designed to protect the environment, especially where the people are working nearby.
- This can also prevent further damage in the event that the chemicals being tested will explode or will spill. Considering they can be hazardous, there is a good chance the damage will be more impactful without the presence of a fume hood.
How should you choose a fume hood? Here are some tips:
- The activities that will be done inside the hood will matter a lot. If you can, try to know first what will be involved in the activities in the medical lab. The amount of chemicals that will be possibly used, as well as the other involved materials, will matter when shopping for a fume hood.
- Your next concern should be the size of the equipment. Again, the activities that will be done here will also matter for this decision. You can also decide at the same time on the design of the fume hood. While there are free-standing fume hoods, you can also find one that needs to be mounted using a benchtop. There is also a type of hood that will be big enough in case equipment must be enclosed in it. This will all depend on the kind of activities the lab will deal with.
- Depending on your activities, you can opt for a type of fume hood that can enable you to also include some addons like electrical outlets, airflow monitors, compressed air, and still a lot more. For these add-ons, you have the option to have them installed by the provider of the fume hood, or have them installed on the site.
In every medical lab facility, the fume hood is quite important. At the same time, it is also quite important to buy a fume hood that is just right for what the medical lab will need.